Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Small Works - First 3 variations

 For the Small Works, we were suppose to find some folk art at our house. I picked this ceramic cow I have, one of many others.





 Three Variations of the original piece :

 I originally had the idea to make a cow leg/udder lamp. Since what caught my attention first about my original piece was the udders and legs because they were in fishnets. Which got me thinking how cows are exploited and treated like products, hence the cow leg lamp.  In the picture I started to form the leg lamp in clay. I later molded it and tried casting it in plaster. But didn't work out to great. The feet of the lamp got stuck in the bottom of the mold and was impossible to get out, so when I casted it in plaster it was missing its feet, unfortunately. I then made a bigger lamp again out of clay but pottery clay, and didn't make a mold of it, but since I could not fire it, it got to dry and broke a lot.


I also wanted to paint a few pictures of my piece, to show more detail and show the exploitation so I drew it out first, before I started to paint it. 









The beginning of a clay cow figure, I wanted to have the cow standing on four legs instead of the two, like in the original art. To make it look more like an animal but I also then added a dress and a hat to humanize it. 





All Original Small Works together: 





Edited: 9/7/16

No comments:

Post a Comment