Sunday, November 20, 2016

Book fair Lecture #2 Keith Knight

The second lecture I went to was They Shoot black people, Don't they? What this lecture was about, a cartoonist named Keith Knight. Who showed a slideshow of his cartoons that show brutality and injustices towards black people. He basically shows 20 years or more of police brutality and racial injustice in the US. A few of the comics he showed had a bow up doll Wilbur, he would put five black people on the road and it would be considered a gang but if they were holding the blowup Wilbur doll it was like they were with a coach or something.

He really hits you hard with his comics and makes you think. He talked about how white people get uncomfortable talking about race and within 6 seconds change the subject and he says how we need to end this and we need to face the awkwardness, and I agree. We are getting nowhere pretending like nothing is wrong if you got something to say or ask I think you should. We have to learn from our past and our mistakes to fix our future. I think he does an excellent job through his comics showing the tragicomedy he talks about something so serious but then he puts it in a funny way. It really makes me think how I could do that with my art. How to make something so terrible and make it funny and both make you laugh and think at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment