Sunday, November 6, 2016

"What is Comics Poetry?" Reading/Response

What is Comic Poetry: is an essay that was written by Alexander Rothman (editor-in-chief of INK BRICK). In this essay he basically tells us what he thinks comic poetry is and how he would define it. He makes it clear throughout the essay that these our his opinions and that views and that it can be a little bit broad. In the essay he defines poetry as "the purest example of a form where the medium is language." And later goes on to define comics as "a form built from visual language, with juxtaposition as its foundational strategy."

Rothman throughout the essay talks about comic poetry and how we understand it. I never really thought about it but when you read comics they take you to that place you can imagine the whole scene like you were actually there. For example in the essay he put in a little cartoon by Warren Craghead its a drawing of a cannon with to outline figures that we perceive ghostly, and above in cursive it says "listen" in my head I actually imagined a cannon being shot. Its crazy to me how we can easily perceive certain fonts or text bubbles and know that they are suppose to be thoughts or screaming, just by how it is set up.

I'm glad I read this before starting my comic poetry for class because of when he says "so much depends on a red wheel barrow" so why would you draw a wheel barrow next to that text it is dead weight. It really made me think about what I should do for my piece to not make it a duplication of text and drawing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kara, you have a good handle on some of the article's most important points.

    ReplyDelete