Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Small Works: The Street Process

For the street assignment I started by walking down a very long road in homestead Florida. Out there is is mostly farm land and big patches of grass. I went for a long walk starting around 6pm and didn't come back till about 830 I wanted to see how the light would change everything I see. Which it did during the day time I find homestead incredibly beautiful but at night time it gets a little bit creepy. So for my assignment I tried to do the opposite of what was there but what I could imagine being there. I did use aspects of what I saw to make my piece.



I sat down by a canal that was on the street I was walking on, I decided to sit in the middle of the road for a while to take in both sides of the street and everything around me. I sat there for awhile until a tractor came by. But being there at night really inspired me to make my piece look a little haunted or creepy and mystical.


I started taking a lot of information down every sound sight smell taste everything! Then of course my pen ran out of ink and I wasn't gonna go all the way home to get a new one. Luckily I already drew some pictures in my sketchbook and wrote down a lot. But I wanted to write more so I kept taking down notes but on my phone in the notes.


I didn't know how I wanted to do this project since my main focus is sculpture I went with that. I am a very 3D person. I made a doodle of what I wanted to do and then I made it. I feel like I draw better in 3D then 2D I don't like to be flat. Also I believe I could better execute my idea thru sculpture.

I started off by getting some plywood I had left over from the hurricane that never came. And cut it into a smaller piece. I then started to cover it in moss, I wanted to use moss because I felt like it gave it that creepy element also because where I was had really high grass so I wanted mine to look wild I and not well kept I also added some sponge like things to make it look like bushes. And I had a bag of black sand that I poured a line down the wood to make the "street" I decided to put the street in my piece because I felt it was important since I was sitting in the middle of the street taking down information!

In homestead the roads are very long and look like they never end and at night time they kind of disappear in the distance so I had the idea of making my road a dead end. 

I saw many old farm houses or just abandoned houses on my walk on the street and I felt like that could really add to the spookiness that I wanted. I started to build a little house but was a lot more work then I excepted I am still currently working on it and will replace it when I finish but till then I had this old bird house I made with my step dad years back and so I stained it and tried to beat it up and then it more into a house.



Since I was sitting near a canal I wanted to add a water element in my piece I didn't want to just make a canal so I decided to make a little swap/lake sorta of thing I found this blue tubing I had  that I thought could work well as the water . And while I was sitting on the street I noticed people fishing at canal I also watched several huge fish jump out of the water. The people never caught any fish but I saw many of them I guess laughing at the people. So I wanted to add fish fishing in the water I thought it would be funny. Also since I heard lots of animal noises around me I thought I should add an animal I might add more later. Also on my walk I noticed many tractor crossing signs and there are more tractors that go by then cars. So I decided to make an animal crossing sign because all I could hear was animals all around me. 
The tubing


Made it into a water like shape

 Added my fish and made them a little fishing pole! I am gonna go back later and add my own fish and chair made by hand. And may change the water to resin to look like water for real. 












Every house or property in homestead is blocked by a fence people out there really want there privacy there are a lot of no trespassing signs and barbwired fences trying to keep the outside out! I wanted to add a fence in my piece but a scary old looking fence I have this wire at my house that looks sorta like vines or barb wire so I used that I got so sticks and wrapped the ends of the wire on the sticks to make it a fence. 




I finally added the little house which again will be replaced in the near future                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          



No comments:

Post a Comment